[Make-wifi-fast] mesh deployment with ath9k driver changes

David Lang david at lang.hm
Wed Apr 25 20:38:31 EDT 2018

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:

> Pete Heist <pete at eventide.io> writes:
>
>>> On Apr 24, 2018, at 4:34 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke at toke.dk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Not sure. You do get HOL blocking while a packet is retried, basically.
>>> And ath9k will keep trying way after it should have given up (up to 30
>>> retries per packet). If you combine this with a lot of backoff for each
>>> transmission (which is also quite likely in a very congested setting),
>>> and I suppose it might be possible…
>>
>> So that means everyone else waits while a packet is sent and re-sent
>> to a station with a weak signal, for example? I see how that would
>> wreck the latency pretty quick with the number of stations connected,
>> plus channel contention with another repeater. It may be a much bigger
>> factor than bloat.
>
> Yup, exactly...

https://www.usenix.org/publications/login/april-2013-volume-38-number-2/wireless-means-radio
https://www.usenix.org/conference/lisa12/technical-sessions/presentation/lang_david_wireless
http://lang.hm/talks/topics/Wireless/Cascadia_2012/ (apologies for never
cleaning this up to one set of good audio/video and slides)

can you make a map of how well each AP hears every other AP? (iw scan on each
device in turn to report the signal strength of the others)