[Make-wifi-fast] WiFi Aware question

dpreed at deepplum.com dpreed at deepplum.com
Sat Feb 3 11:21:00 EST 2018

[I apologize for sending this with an old subject line and with another conversation attached. It was a dumb and distracting thing to do to these lists. My fault.]

I'm curious about the "WiFi Aware" initiative by the WiFi Alliance.

Does LEDE and/or Linux support this protocol? I know gSupplicant is potentially the way such things are supposed to work, at least according to its supporters.

The general NAN (Neighborhood-Aware-Networking) concept makes a lot of sense at one level, but as an Internet guy, it troubles me that they decided to split from the Internet and go a balkanized direction. To me, the neighborhood is interesting only as part of a larger Internet.

It also troubles me that WiFi Aware is a "certification program" rather than a real standard, and has serious problems with supporting Internet. But there will be devices that  require it.