[Make-wifi-fast] what is the state of the airtime fairness patches?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Jan 17 05:48:31 EST 2018

David Lang <david at lang.hm> writes:

> I'm getting ready to finalize the build for the Scale conference, is airtime
> fairness upstream in LEDE for both ath9 and ath10?
>
> Has it been ported to anything else?

Airtime fairness is upstream in both mainline and LEDE for ath9k. There
have been some preliminary developments for ath10k (looks like we can
get the data we need), but nothing that works yet. Should be possible to
get it to work for mt76 as well, at least.

The fq_codel-based queueing stuff is active for both ath9k, ath10k and
mt76, though.

> Is there anything you would like me to gather in this environment?

Hmm, things that might be interesting:

- Distribution of client capabilities (5/2.4Ghz, MIMO mode, n/ac,
  achieved rates, etc. - however much data you can reasonably gather)

- Lasthop latency experienced by the clients (you could get this by
  capturing TCP handshakes and measuring the ACK-SYNACK delay, as shown
  in Figure 1 of this paper:
  https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=2999572.2999603) - this could
  give an indication of bloat in the client drivers.

- QoS usage (how much traffic is sent on each of the VO/VI/BE/BK
  queues).

> I've got a lot of the wndr3700/3800 APs (ath9k) and would like to get
> a handful of -ac devices to see if there are enough users who would
> take advantage of the higher speeds to matter.

I think we are getting to the point where ac is fairly common, at least
in phones. But data on this would be good of course :)

-Toke