[Make-wifi-fast] [Cake] gaming dscp codepoint?

dpreed at deepplum.com dpreed at deepplum.com
Wed Jul 25 14:54:03 EDT 2018

I don't quite understand this. Diffserv may exist, but no Internet operators support it. It may be "supported" in edge devices, but since the "service" is in the network queueing, who cares?

The Linux gamer market is rounding error in the global game community.

And console gamers depend on the ISP's non-implementation.

Caveat: I have said for years that diffserv's huge list of codepoints is essentially the result of a committee that has gone wild, creating a standard that is missing any useful path to adoption. There's no computable "translation" of the vague descriptions in the standard to a predictable router queueing behavior. This is super true in places like LTE, where you can observe bad congestion and bufferbloat even today.

Discussing what codepoint means what is like discussing trivia about an imaginary fantasy land.