[Make-wifi-fast] [Cake] gaming dscp codepoint?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 20:34:29 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 5:06 PM Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 25 Jul, 2018, at 3:01 am, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > cs4?
> >
> > cs4 and cs5 end up (typically) in the (oft buggy) linux vi queue on wifi.
> >
> > ef?
> >
> > do any of the gamers here observe any codepoints in use? When I
> > surveyed this a few years ago, I saw very little usage, and what
> > little there was was all over the map.
>
> If it were up to me,

Wasn't my question. Do you observe any of your games using any codepoints?

>I would use EF for realtime position/command updates and voice comms, CS0 for everything non-time-critical (like matchmaking, garage, shop), and CS1 for downloading patches.

Well, I was leaning towards cs4. I no longer remember what ef maps
into on linux wifi, particularly since qos_map_set was created for
hostapd. Is openwrt tweaking that at all?

These days my aps do not use 802.11e at all and I'm about to push a
change forcing a max of 2ms per AC via the beacon.

Clients on campus don't seem to use much dscp but I'm certainly seeing
ecn from apple devices now.

> Reason is, EF is the only DSCP I can count on being interpreted as "latency sensitive" rather than "for video streaming".
>
>  - Jonathan Morton

CEO, TekLibre, LLC
http://www.teklibre.com
Tel: 1-669-226-2619