[Make-wifi-fast] bloated ath10k

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Mon Feb 11 13:07:37 EST 2019

Hi David,

Thanks for the discussion and tolerating hearing what you already know.

Per Jaffe, TCP can't be optimized to achieve maximum network power (avg
throughput / latency) because an end host  (or TCP end) only has only local
knowledge.  I think that's why things like HULL are setting the CE bit and
why we have so many TCP control loops none of which can determine the true
"near congestion point."  With wireless links, the STAs aren't limited to
local knowledge because their PHYs are always listening to the medium.  I
think this helps chip fw towards the ability to detect the input rate as
exceeding the possible service rate (as defined by "congestion" and/or
"free spectrum" - whatever those terms mean as neither are related to
physics. ;)  If this is the case, the chip fw can determine, and may be
able to predict, with STA state when the "queued traffic on LAN reached
threshold."

Per 802.11ax the AP will need to have virtual output queues to work with
downlink OFDMA.  Those transmits are truly "in parallel" which requires the
multiple queues on the AP.  So I don't perceive the two queues feeding one
queue "engineering phenomena" lasting forever.

I'm no mesh expert but it does seem suboptimal that a transmit from STA A
to STA B needs to be forwarded by an AP if STA B received the energy from A
at an SINR that it allows it to decode the packet.  In this case, the ack
could come from B to A directly and the AP could drop what it heard.  No
ack from the real destination, then the AP forwards.

Though with 802.11ax, it's all centered around the AP for scheduling , i.e.
all transmits even on STAs are "triggered" and the AP sets the transmit
powers so uplink OFDMA works.    I'm not sure how well 802.11ax plays with
mesh.

Just some more random thoughts and thanks again for the discussion.

Bob