[Make-wifi-fast] Status of the industry on over buffering at the WiFi air interface

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Fri Feb 14 11:40:57 EST 2020

Wow. I didn't know Pause Frames were becoming commonly used. That's terrible in general, but I guess for a dedicated box with only one path outgoing it is OK. A pause tells a source to stop sending to the access router. It doesn't reflect any path dependency, so if the access router were actually a *router* that could feed more than one outgoing link, a pause would not be selective enough.

So this is a special case that moves the bufferbloat situation into the router.

But I really thank you, because that resolves one issue being observed. That's new information for me. So thanks again! Is there a "best practice RFC" aoout using Pause Frames in the Ethernet under IP? Or is this just random hacking by hardware vendors who don't understand the end-to-end nature of congestion management?

However, the other issue observed, which I didn't mention, is that there is a big problem on the downlink side, too, when using one of several different APs. I'm not aware of how a pause frame might be utilized by a laptop using WiFi, or even if there is a notion of Pause Frame in Windows WiFi drivers. (if there were, then "out of control" congestion would be a property of both a Netgear and a Linksys AP, both of which had this "download" lag under load.)