[Make-wifi-fast] the future belongs to pacing

Luca Muscariello muscariello at ieee.org
Mon Jul 6 10:08:56 EDT 2020

It is not surprising that BBR comes from Van who's also designed and
implemented pathchar.

I liked reading the paper when it was published and it has the merit to be
simple to read
for a large audience.

I agree very much on the title as bang-bang congestion control (not only
AIMD) could be
deprecated entirely by measurement based approaches like BBR.

In bang-bang cc the sending rate is obtained by a root-finding algorithm
(gradient based) that
is fed by measurements of congestion (queue, loss, latency), whereas in BBR
the sending rate is
an (almost?) explicit function of the measured quantities.

In theory both approaches work, but for the former we have seen a
proliferation of root-finding algorithms
for wireless, large BDP networks, small BDP network, satellite, cellular,
shared-media, non-shared media and more.
Selection of the right one is a question of tuning, which is extremely
complex and static.

If BBR can fix that by having a unique model for all these cases that would
make deprecation, as intended in the paper,
likely to happen.