[Make-wifi-fast] Where is the bloat in WiFi?

Luca Muscariello muscariello at ieee.org
Tue Oct 6 09:09:58 EDT 2020

Hi Michael,

In my case (WAN = GPON DL/UP 2Gbps/500Mbps) some devices are bottlenecked
at the AP, others are
bottlenecked at the switch, like my NAS which is multi-homed with 2 x 1GE
ports to the switch.
WAN downlink is hardly ever the bottleneck. However, backhaul links are
10GE and there may be
congestion there depending on the level of over subscription.

(From a container in the NAS)

     Server: ORANGE FRANCE - Paris (id = 24215)
        ISP: Orange
    Latency:     0.92 ms   (0.03 ms jitter)
   Download:   935.31 Mbps (data used: 433.1 MB)
     Upload:   599.02 Mbps (data used: 645.4 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.0%

For a laptop connected to one AP (line of sight available) I get 500Mbps
DL/UL speedtest.
For the uplink it is hard to say if the bottleneck is the uplink of the
router or one of the three APs,
or the switch? At 5GHz no device goes below ~700Mbps (PHY) rate according
to the WLC.

My case is not really common now, but with fiber adoption growth and more
people working from
home I expect this to become more common. WMM helps with all the online
meetings we do these days.
For video end-points (like Cisco DX) I only use ethernet.

With fiber growth in the home, investments in the backhaul become critical
to keep up with demand.

For xDSL the bottleneck is the WAN with high probability.

Luca