[Make-wifi-fast] [Starlink] [Cake] [Cerowrt-devel] Due Aug 2: Internet Quality workshop CFP for the internet architecture board

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sat Aug 7 20:03:38 EDT 2021

{cutting some of the lists}

David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:
    > If you are going to setup a test environment for wifi, you need to include
    > the ability to make a fe cases that only happen with RF, not with wired
    > networks and are commonly overlooked

Also,

1) some 802.11g sender can't hear the 802.11b sender, so does not back off on
   using all the channels.

2) some 802.11g TV-over-wifi product intentionally does not back off, because
   that would break the TV signal.   This is happening 100m in the next
   household, and having a human (water bag) standing between the two
   households improves the situation.  So on each commercial break, the
   local wifi improves because the humans next door go to the washroom.

This means that the wifi speed/power selection gets all all confused,
several times per minute.