[Make-wifi-fast] 2.4Ghz hybrid wiring for nest protects

Jannie Hanekom jannie at hanekom.net
Tue May 18 17:57:38 EDT 2021

(This contribution is probably drifting a bit off topic significantly.  Apologies for that.)

I have to acknowledge: As someone who lacks the expert-level technical knowledge most contributors on this list have, what I say doesn’t carry much weight.  I’m here mostly because I enjoy the content.  But, I have a few concerns I’d like to raise, mostly related to safety…

*	Fire is a serious matter.  As well-intentioned as it may be, using a prosumer-grade fire alerting product in an commercial or high-density residential setting may not be appropriate.  It’s one thing for the occupant of a residential unit to install their own device.  It’s something quite different to use it as part of the services a building offers to its tenants.
*	Creating a building-sized 2.4Ghz antenna sounds like an interesting experiment, but wouldn’t the noise-floor being prohibitively high?
*	Supporting such an environment on your day off would be a challenge.  That’s important considering the functionality the solution has to deliver.
*	Something I’ve learnt about loops and other redundant systems is that their reliability benefits are only as good as the processes that monitor them for failures.  Passive cable is really hard to monitor.

Then, as someone occasionally involved in deployments of commercial off-the-shelf solutions through my $dayjob, I’d argue that the “traditional” route of installing a bunch of CAT6 and one or more APs per unit (if the solution *had* to be Nest Protects) would likely score higher on availability, performance and supportability.  (If you’re talking Zigbee not WiFi then I’m even further out of my depth, but I’d argue the same points still apply.)

Jannie