[Make-wifi-fast] 2.4Ghz hybrid wiring for nest protects

Bob McMahon bob.mcmahon at broadcom.com
Tue May 18 19:32:04 EDT 2021

Yeah, this whole thread should start with a disclaimer of *no
responsibility nor liability for any opinions expressed*. I'm not a lawyer
and not sure the best way to write such disclaimers, but I fully understand
the seriousness of fire alerting and that a WiFi discussion group is not a
place to go for anything more than discussion and opinions.

As some background, and way off topic for sure, I called the local fire
department and they said there is no current requirement for a floor to
floor alerting system on older buildings. I then asked if they would have
their kids live in such a building and the answer was, "I can't answer
that." And any other following question I had was "google it" because "we,
the fire department, don't want to take liability for something we can't
affect." I also spoke with a person who runs a fire consulting business and
he said not having alerting on the egress escapes was not safe,
particularly for higher level floors.

I found that a professionally installed alerting system would cost $60K to
$100K. This is just alerting, not suppression. Needless to say, the HOA
doesn't have such funds. Each unit has a few chirp alarms which seems to be
sufficient for the fire department w/respect to them not hindering "real
estate transactions" because real estate business is serious too. The fire
dept would get crushed politically if they imposed $100K bills on people
trying to meet their rents. Note: they will get involved when a building
has major improvements but, until then, they're basically trying to avoid
any kind of liability and they only get involved after the building
department asks them too. In other words, the building is not going to be
honestly evaluated for fire safety by anyone in a position of expertise and
responsibility until it undergoes a major remodel - which will force most
people out. I find reality usually is what it is vs what I'd like it to be.

NO RESPONSIBILITY AND NO LIABILITY applies to all from my perspective.

And please don't think I'd trust anyone here for such a system that affects
human life. Not meaning to be disparaging to anyone.

Bob

--
This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted
with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for