[Make-wifi-fast] a cheer up tweet for y'all

XianJun Jiao putaoshu at msn.com
Wed Jan 10 08:55:48 EST 2024

Regarding the forwarding, I feel that you two are argue different thing?

If I remember correctly, the mac80211 framework also re-use the ethernet data-path above some level, so the Linux kernel stack can handle both Wi-Fi data and Ethernet data. I think we all agree on this level of forwarding.

I think Bob raise an interesting observation about the NIC on a server: Ethernet VS Wi-Fi.

To my understanding about why Ethernet NIC works fine (or pretty good) on a server is that now a days the Ethernet NIC actually faces a non-shared media (medias are isolated by a switch). So the queue/packet in the Ethernet NIC till on the media could achieve so called 'line rate forwarding' easily?

On the contrary, the Wi-Fi always faces a shared media (ISM band, CSMA/CA/etc.), and this bring a big difference compared to the Ethernet NIC. I can elaborate further on this: (because I am doing Wi-Fi chip/FPGA implementation since 2017 – the openwifi project, and now we have implemented our Wi-Fi6.)

  *
More and more complications are packed into the chip level instead of the driver level, Especially since Wi-Fi6. – it doesn't matter there is "binary firmware blobs" or not. Even there isn't "binary firmware blobs", the complications will still be there. This is somehow the requirement from the real-time behaviour/aspect defined in the standard.
  *   The Wi-Fi LMAC has to operate precisely in terms of the time (normally order of microsecond, or sub-microsecond). – this has to be in chip.
  *   The Wi-Fi LMAC in the chip will decide: when (depends on CSMA/CA, queue status/priority, packet priority/etc ) the packet should be transmitted on which sub-band (called RU in Wi-Fi6/7, OFDMA) through which spatial stream (MIMO, MU-MIMO). In summary: time, frequency and spatial for a packet.
  *   Again reminding: the time, frequency, spatial are controlled by chip not driver due to their real-time aspects. After the driver handles the packet to Wi-Fi chip (doesn't matter how good/up-to-date/open the driver is), then the only thing driver can do is waiting for the packet transmission result from the chip.
  *   I haven't mentioned that in the chip there could also be multiple re-transmission processes, if the first attempts fail. The final packet delivery report only happens after all re-transmission attempts end.

In summary, in the case of Wi-Fi there are more and more complicated low-level behaviors out of the driver control, and this is not the case (most probably, or less the case) for Ethernet NIC (I guess).

Best regards,
--
Xianjun Jiao