[Rpm] actively measuring owd successfully using icmp

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Dec 11 11:50:23 EST 2021

Hi Matt,

thanks a lot.

> On Dec 11, 2021, at 17:25, Matt Mathis <mattmathis at google.com> wrote:
>
> icmp_timestamp has not been removed, and in Linux it is still present in the shared icmp code used by both IPv4 and IPv6.

	Ah thanks, serves me well for not actually testing; I did however look into the ICMPv6 RFC and obviously did not notice that this describes changes from ICMPv4 and that hence the absence of type 13/14 timestamps in RFC does not mean they are not supported/intended to work.

> More likely a bug that has never been noticed, because nobody bothered to test it.  I note that most icmp documentation doesn't even mention it's existence.

	Yes, that is what made me come to the wrong conclusion, thanks for clearing that up.

> If a kernel bug, most likely a corrupted checksum.  But my bet would be code outright missing from the library.

	Since I asked before testing, maybe I should test this now, maybe it just works....

Thanks again & Best Regards
	Sebastian