[Rpm] Almost had a dialog going with juniper...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 13:27:41 EST 2023

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 9:57 AM Frantisek Borsik via Rpm
<rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

>Besides the actual evaporating of those comments that's the saddest thing for me...

The article has improved in multiple respects, actually mentioning
better packet management earlier than it had, and the overall tone
shifted nicely.

Frank... in the future, please criticise the ideas, and framing, and
not the person. I was, I'll admit, incensed at seeing the comment
thread disappear, but I then took a day to write a much better article
about the VOQ problem with purchased circuits I have observed many
times, and posted it widely. The comment - still preserved on that
piece - with that link to that blog entry - I have a nice screenshot
of now. :)

Stirring up a little controversy along the way towards the truth is
fine! We are all in this bloat together, and need to engineer our way
out.

I really do hope that what I see in so many VOQ -> XGbit SLA
configurations (where the delay is additive per voq) is not as common
(or as under-observed) as I think it is. Perhaps the scripts and blog
I posted will encourage more folk to look at this problem more deeply,
as it certainly seems to exist at many ISP->internet interconnects.
Maybe good solutions will be posted somewhere on some support site
that can be achieved on more hardware available today.

https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/

A pithy note on VOQs vs SQM: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/juniper/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC