[Rpm] receive window bug fix

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Sat Jun 3 15:15:31 EDT 2023

I think better tooling can help and I am always interested in
suggestions on what to add to iperf 2 for better coverages.

I've thought it good for iperf 2 to support some sort of graph which
drives socket read/write/delays vs a simplistic pattern of AFAP. It for
sure stresses things differently, even in drivers. I've seen huge delays
in some 10G drivers where some UDP packets seem to get stuck in queues
and where the e2e latency is driven by the socket write rates vs the
network delays. This is most obvious using burst patterns where the last
packet of a latency burst is coupled to the first packet of the
subsequent burst. The coupling between the syscalls to network
performance is nonobvious and sometimes hard to believe.

We've been adding more "traffic profile" knobs for socket testing and
have much of the latency metrics incorporated. Most don't use these.
They seem to be hard to generalize. Cloudflare seems to have crafted
specific tests after obtaining knowledge of causality.

Bob

PS. As a side note, I'm now being asked how to generate "AI loads" into
switch fabrics, though there it probably won't be based upon socket
syscalls but maybe using io_urings - not sure.