[Starlink] [Bloat] Of interest: Comcast AQM Paper

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 07:49:52 EDT 2021

> I assume by WiFi what is really meant is devices that have at least one WiFi (layer 1/layer 2) interface. While there are queues in the MAC sublayer, there is really no queue management functionality ... yet ... AFAIK. I know IEEE P802.11bd in conjunction w/ IEEE 1609 is working on implementing a few rudimentary queue mgmt functions.
>
> That said, seems any AQM in such devices would more than likely be in layer 3 and above.

Linux-based CPE devices have AQM functionality integrated into the
Wifi stack.  The AQM itself operates at layer 3, but the Linux Wifi
stack implementation uses information from layers 2 and 4 to improve
scheduling decisions, eg. airtime-fairness and flow-isolation (FQ).
This works best on soft-MAC Wifi hardware, such as ath9k/10k and MT76,
where this information is most readily available to software.  In
principle it could also be implemented in the MAC, but I don't know of
any vendor that's done that yet.

 - Jonathan Morton