[Starlink] raptor codes

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 19:32:38 EST 2021

"Mike" Luby (formerly of qualcomm, now the CEO of bitripple) and I
exchanged some email today.

He sent me the attached document explaining in detail how they work.
Up until now I knew of these things, and how they were used, but not
much about their foundations.

I'm a simple guy, I just wanted to know if we could incorporate this
stuff in GPL'd software (e.g. the linux kernel), how big the codebase
needs to be, what APIs made the most sense, what the cpu overheads
were, what code was already available, and the memory (more broadly -
capacity) requirement that vint's still working on...

"An identical IPR declaration was made by Qualcomm on the earlier
generation of Raptor codes specified in IETF RFC 5053.  One could
argue that one would like to use another variation of the fountain
codes, but honestly this would lead to the opposite of what David is
trying to achieve, which is interoperability — we designed RaptorQ
specified in IETF RFC 6330 very carefully with essentially ideal
properties so that it could be used as the basis for a agreed upon and
widely deployed standard..."

... If there are hundreds of variants of weird fountain codes out
there, how does that help with interoperability? RaptorQ is part of
the NextGen TV standard (ATSC 3.0) as well, and the reason is for
interoperability"

And lastly: " we at BitRIpple don’t own the IPR rights to RaptorQ, but
I know how to interpret the IPR statement and I know we are just fine.
In fact, BitRipple recently collaborated with Qualcomm and Verizon to
provide the data delivery technology to support the following:

Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon (in Hawaii) and Verizon CTO Kyle Malady
(in New Jersey) had the first ever 8K HDR live video conferencing call
between smartphones enabled by BitRipple technology, which was the
first demo during Cristiano’s keynote at the Qualcomm Snapdragon
Technical Summit.

See Qualcomm’s post about this on LinkedIn (https://lnkd.in/g5xTaXDm)
and my post about this as well
(https://www.linkedin.com/posts/michaelluby_watch-qualcomm-and-verizon-demo-worlds-first-activity-6871600498093506560-xl6R).
  There is also a Youtube video of the demo
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au20PiI27Mg)."

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC