[Starlink] congestion control info off the datapath

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 13:02:43 EDT 2021

One of our newer members is one of the authors of this:

https://people.cs.rutgers.edu/~sn624/papers/ccp-sigcomm18.pdf

I will reserve comment for now. I don't grok the intersection with ebpf as yet.

Please? newer folk here, please briefly introduce yourselves and your
interests in starlink's stuff?
I very much approve of lurkers - even aliases! for those that cannot
talk due to various NDAs, etc, but...

For those here that don't know me already, well, I'm this renegade
that has long lived
outside of the vogon-industrial-military-academic complex with more
key open source
networking contributions to the world than most. These days I'm best
known for the bufferbloat
project and multiple congestion control algorithms/packet schedulers and AQMs

( Please put a copy of https://bufferbloat-and-beyond.net/ in your
reading queue)

but I have a long history going back to 1982 of kicking the tires of
the internet,
creating a RUD, and then fixing it.

My own personal mission (as per the podcast) is to merely see starlink
get sch_cake up on outbound
on the dishy but long term I care a lot about just about anything
networked and in
space from here out to the edges fo the solar system. I'm really low
on spare time
at the moment personally, but if newer folk here would like to
introduce themselves
and point a link at a key paper of theirs or at their work in
progress, perhaps the
conversation will get rolling a bit more. We're still looking for more
folkable  to do
our measurement suite in particular.

(we also need to put up the mailing list archive so far for new folk.
Am short an
 mailman expert for that if anyone has those chops?)

--
Fixing Starlink's Latencies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gLo6Xrwgw

Dave Täht CTO, TekLibre, LLC