[Starlink] congestion control info off the datapath

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 26 01:26:33 EDT 2021

I'm Ulrich and I'm at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. Broader
interest is in novel technologies for getting (better or any at all)
Internet to the underserved of this world. In our backyard that means -
mostly but not only tropical - Pacific Islands with too few folks on
them to make a business case for a submarine fibre connection. I've so
far mostly concentrated on narrowband GEO and MEO pipes to small island
ISPs or ISP-like entities, and you've linked to our home page
(https://sde.blogs.auckland.ac.nz/
<https://sde.blogs.auckland.ac.nz>)
the other day - much appreciated.

Interest in Starlink: It's one of the developments that might help in
this effort, although the current orbital inclinations (53 degrees)
still leave large gaps around the tropical regions. No surprise all
those gushing beta user reports come from people north / south of 40
degrees latitude, where satellite density is highest. For the tropical
Pacific, remoteness will be another showstopper while Starlink uses
standard bent pipe links - you really need to be within a couple of
hundred miles of a gateway teleport of this to work. Many islands we
worry about are many hundreds of miles from the next connected piece of
land, let alone a Starlink teleport. So once inter-satellite routing
will be happening (how? when? where?), we may be debating bufferbloat
all over again. I'm also intrigued how the global Starlink system
capacity (rumoured to be 23.6 Tb/s for the commercial start) will
suffice to service the billions of underconnected in the world when much
of that capacity will be over water at any time (where it's not needed).
I'm thinking here in particular that this number is awfully close to the
current connected capacity between Australia/NZ and North America, and
there's only around 25 million of us here who, unlike Starlink
customers, have CDN server farms between ourselves and our international
links. So I have heaps of questions, which have recently appeared in an
APNIC blog:

https://blog.apnic.net/2021/05/20/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-leo-satellites-part-1-the-basics/

On 25/07/2021 5:02 am, Dave Taht wrote:

> Please? newer folk here, please briefly introduce yourselves and your
> interests in starlink's stuff?
> I very much approve of lurkers - even aliases! for those that cannot
> talk due to various NDAs, etc, but...

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)