[Starlink] congestion control info off the datapath

Andrew Crane fairalbion at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 17:00:20 EDT 2021

< Please? newer folk here, please briefly introduce yourselves and your
< interests in starlink's stuff?

My story.
I'd moved from a suburban area, which had decent DOCSIS service, to a
remote rural area, where the choice was between woeful DSL service... or
nothing.
After a few weeks of pain, neighbors alerted me to a home router that
supposedly made life bearable. I'd encountered a lot of worthless IT snake
oil in my job & was skeptical. But I did some reading about bufferbloat,
threw skepticism to the wind, and bought the router.
It tuned itself to the connection and ended up making things workable. I'm
not a network engineer  - my specialty was DNS/DHCP/IP address management -
but nerded out around the subject of latency under load. I ended up putting
together an OpenWRT-based home router.
When Starlink became operational, bufferbloat was the first thing I was
curious about, especially given the "back-to-first-principles" engineering
that Starlink aspires to.
~ Andrew