[Starlink] Intro and a question

Dick Roy dickroy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 28 13:27:06 EDT 2021

  _____

From: Mike Puchol [mailto:mike at starlink.sx]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 1:16 AM
To: 'Karl Auerbach'; starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net; dickroy at alum.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Starlink] Intro and a question

I won't pound on the dead donkey too much, Dick is way above my pay grade on
this one, but I'll just add that multiple polarization schemes were explored
in the LTE world when they wanted to move from 2x2 MIMO (achieved with
cross-polarized antennas) to 4x4 and higher orders. They just couldn't make
it work, so efforts were abandoned - it's too hard to achieve the physical
separation the "invention" claims through any practical means, which is
where Carlos goes into ". and I'll need a big pocketed investor to prove
this works". Billions have been spent on research for CDMA, LTE and 5G, and
nothing in the polarization space has ever been marginally achieved.

[RR] The reason is once again the laws of physics!  Polarization is a
two-dimensional subspace of three-dimensional space . think Pointing Vector
= E x B, and you will rapidly realize claims of infinite capacity from an
infinite number of polarizations is nonsense.  As for not being able to make
4x4 work, it's because the people implementing it really do not understand
space-time signal processing applied to wireless telecommunications and real
antennas (and the same may be true of Starlink .. not enough available info
to tell yet:^((() And when you add to that confusing signal spaces with
physical 3-D space as Carlos does in his rant, you get BS on BS, or
BS-squared.  All that aside, what we really want, Dave, is the name of the
guy who invests in Carlos' scheme .  he/she obviously has money to burn!

Then, considering you only have a single path between a satellite and a
ground station, any claims of higher-order MIMO through physical separation
are void.

[RR] See above highlighted text! And just know that you are thinking that
physical separation has to mean "of the antennas at a single receiving or
transmitting unit" and there are "other physical separations that are
definitely relevant".  "Higher-order MMO" does NOT require large physical
separations however, just smart signal processing. Do it right and, under
the appropriate conditions/assumptions, the capacity of a channel of
bandwidth W between the satellite with M antennas and ground station with N
antennas) goes up by W*log2(M^2 * N^2) over that of a single antenna at each
end.   For example, if M = 16 and N = 4, the increase is 12W!  Point is:
MIMO does not necessarily mean multiple spatial streams, it means multiple
inputs and multiple outputs.  The two are NOT the same! He physical channel
between the inputs and outputs really matters.

RR

Best,

Mike