[Starlink] congestion control info off the datapath

Srinivas Narayana sn624 at scarletmail.rutgers.edu
Sat Jul 31 09:04:24 EDT 2021

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 10:02:43AM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:

> Please? newer folk here, please briefly introduce yourselves and your
> interests in starlink's stuff?
> I very much approve of lurkers - even aliases! for those that cannot
> talk due to various NDAs, etc, but...

Hi everyone!

I'm an academic at Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA. I've
been interested in programmable networking research, defined
in the broadest possible terms. I've done research on
congestion control/transport before, and have background in
both endpoint and in-network (router) scheduling. I've also
been following Dave's (and others') cool work on router AQMs
and debloating.

Through the pandemic and after spending time in India (with
some pretty bloated data networks, especially cellular),
I've gained a visceral appreciation for low latency
networking. These days I'm interested in transport and
scheduling technologies, as well as novel options for
connectivity (starlink included), that can help us end users
to experience a better Internet in its all realtime glory.

> One of our newer members is one of the authors of this:
>
> https://people.cs.rutgers.edu/~sn624/papers/ccp-sigcomm18.pdf
>
> I will reserve comment for now. I don't grok the intersection with ebpf as yet.

Thanks for posting a pointer to this :) I'm happy to answer
any questions about the work.

--
Srinivas
An adequate bootstrap is a contradiction in terms.