[Starlink] 69,000 Users

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 01:48:20 EDT 2021

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 10:24 PM David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> I think that was 69k simultanious users
>
> dishy production cost is currently down to ~$1k/unit (I've heard that it was
> ~$3k/unit for the first ones)

Keep hoping they will add good, nay, great!! queue management.
Software costs nothing in qty.

> But the long term upside if they can pull it off is a license to print money,
> I've seen speculation that it's on the order of 30B/year when fully built

I think that's kind of doable.

It's too bad all those users are behind a CGN and cannot talk to each
other, routing calls at least from one village to another would stay
on the same sat.

> David Lang
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, Daniel AJ Sokolov wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2021 19:00:32 -0700
> > From: Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at sokolov.eu.org>
> > To: starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net
> > Subject: [Starlink] 69,000 Users
> >
> > Starlink currently has 69,000 User, according to what Elon Musk said
> > today at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
> >
> > In a year, he wants to have 500,000 users.
> >
> > He expects having to invest 25 to 30 billion US-Dollars to fully build
> > Starlink.
> >
> > Each Dishy costs Starlink about double the current purchase price.
> > However, they want to reduce the production cost to "a few hundred
> > dollars" - which is why they are working on their own factory in Texas.
> >
> > FYI
> > Daniel

Latest Podcast:
https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6791014284936785920/