[Starlink] routing capability in starlinks

Dave Taht davet at teklibre.net
Wed Jun 30 03:13:26 EDT 2021

since they are processing packets they must have some routing or packet switching capability per sat, esp given the ultimate laser based interconnect.

I am wondering how much routing table space they might have designed in?

going village to village on the same sat would save a ton of backhaul bandwidth and offer less latency for things like phone calls. The CGN (dang it) looks doomed to backhaul somewhere, but perhaps the ipv6 stuff?

I imagine they do it at the l2 protocol and program the next hop(s) on the ground, but we do live in an age where everything is centralized

(for those that don’t know, I’ve been working on distance-vector routing protocols for decades, most of my work on that front for the last decade has been focused on making the babel routing protocol scale better than bgp does for meshy links )