[Starlink] 69,000 Users

Dave Taht davet at teklibre.net
Wed Jun 30 03:51:04 EDT 2021

While I agree that big money is in backhaul...

My take on how to turn a per-user profit was easy. Just increase the user density and user side always offer the lowest latency possible from LEO.

I would hate to be quoted on this out of context, but 50Mbit ought to be enough for everyone. Web traffic in particular is almost entirely bound by RTT [1]. There’s a lot of studies showing this. I keep looking for the key google one with no luck….

You can’t use up 50Mbit in your typical 3sec web page load before it ends.

Designing a network for speedtest is silly. (admittedly convincing the world that speedtest is the worlds most misleading benchmark is hard)

Designing a new network for real applications like voip, videoconferencing, email, chat, and 4k video streaming is much easier if you always retain consistently low latency.

Many the headaches and hassle in scheduling a bunch of spot beams go away if you just target real applications, with good queue management, and a deep knowledge of how our network protocols actually work.

There’s plenty that could be done at the l2 layer to increase density also.  "Music is the space between the notes” - said Debussy

[1] With *really good queue management* at the head end, and an e2e approach to improving the browsers, we (teklibre) long ago proved how to improve PLT enormously at large RTTs.