[Starlink] 69,000 Users

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jun 30 05:57:27 EDT 2021

On Wed, 30 Jun 2021, David Lang wrote:

> I suspect that they will be more limited by the number of stations they
> can build than the interest from customers. As user density increases,
> they will need to launch more satellites, but as Starship comes online,
> the cost to do so will drop significantly.

My opinion here is that it's a bw game. with 1M customers doing a few
megabits/s each, that's significant amount of bw capacity needed. Even
with tens of thousands of satellites (each significant cost to build and
launch), I still don't really see how they'll handle many millions of
customers.

Terrestrial mobile networks still haven't really come around to unlimited
data that actually works, so we'll see how well Starlink can do this.

There was a power outage affecting around 50k households yesterday, I
presume most peoples' residential connections/wifis stopped working, and
they all went mobile. This rendered the local mobile networks basically
unusable, people reported 10s RTT on some of the packets that were
actually delivered.

5G base stations today are in the gigabits/s magnitude of total air
capacity, even if they have similar for the satellites it's going to be
problematic to keep up. I think they'll have to keep charging a premium
price, higher than today, or implement data cap.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se