[Starlink] 69,000 Users

Dave Taht davet at teklibre.net
Wed Jun 30 10:24:53 EDT 2021

> On Jun 30, 2021, at 2:57 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2021, David Lang wrote:
>
>> I suspect that they will be more limited by the number of stations they can build than the interest from customers. As user density increases, they will need to launch more satellites, but as Starship comes online, the cost to do so will drop significantly.
>
> My opinion here is that it's a bw game. with 1M customers doing a few megabits/s each, that's significant amount of bw capacity needed. Even with tens of thousands of satellites (each significant cost to build and launch), I still don't really see how they'll handle many millions of customers.
>
> Terrestrial mobile networks still haven't really come around to unlimited data that actually works, so we'll see how well Starlink can do this.

Terrestrial mobile networks still haven’t implemented fq and aqm technologies.

> There was a power outage affecting around 50k households yesterday, I presume most peoples' residential connections/wifis stopped working, and they all went mobile. This rendered the local mobile networks basically unusable, people reported 10s RTT on some of the packets that were actually delivered.

Link?

At 250+ms most our protocols start sending more packets, compounding this problem.

Admittedly an outage of this size is probably not something that can be handled with pure fq+aqm, as it would basically look more like a syn flood attack!

> 5G base stations today are in the gigabits/s magnitude of total air capacity, even if they have similar for the satellites it's going to be problematic to keep up. I think they'll have to keep charging a premium price, higher than today, or implement data cap.

I don’t think data caps are needed. fairness is needed.

I would prefer a solution that just billed for usage over a minimum.