[Starlink] Starlink tidbits from NANOG

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Thu Nov 4 21:30:20 EDT 2021

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 12:11 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 9:46 AM Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com <mailto:dave.taht at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I have an ipv4/23 lying around since the 90s. I don't want to sell it,
>> but my co-owner and I would really like a dishy and a static IPv4/IPv6
>> address... and service for life... and whatever else we could
>> negotiate. :)
>
> Perhaps 2 zeroth addresses in exchange, also. Getting 0 back is order
> millions more real ipv4s for the world. code's in linux and bsd now.
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schoen-intarea-lowest-address-00.txt <https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-schoen-intarea-lowest-address-00.txt>
>
> (there's a preso nov 9th in intarea on this)

Haha, well, with v4 addresses now going for > $50 each, in the usual blocks of 256, it might be a fair trade.

If you want a static, I can tunnel you one for while… Works better the closer you are to Chicago, but I’m well connected there.

Although at ARIN 48 after NANOG, NIST laid out the details of the ongoing federal government push to IPv6-ONLY networking, with an 80% complete target by 2025. I expect we will see v6 pick up some steam over the next few years.