[Starlink] Starlink tidbits from NANOG

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Nov 5 18:24:32 EDT 2021

On 5/11/2021 2:18 pm, Darrell Budic wrote:

>> Waves in this case generally refers to 10G/100G leased optical
>> circuit capacity.
>
> As has already been mentioned, I did mean optical waves. Comes from my
> perspective as a network guy who uses lots of optical transport and
> DWDM systems. Realized I should have been more specific about optical
> waves, especially in this forum. Even more specifically, “waves” are
> generally a product provided you by someone else who lights the fiber
> for you. In this case, probably Zayo, Lumen, Crown Castle, and maybe
> even Google operating the fiber. Generally 10G waves, or some multiple
> there of, although 100G waves are out there, and 400G are
> coming/testing/just entering production.
>
> In this case, I suspect it means 10G waves given the currently
> estimated capacity of the ground stations. Moving to dark lets them do
> Nx10G links more cost effectively, or 100G link if the distance is
> short enough (around 100km at the moment before you have to go to the
> much more expensive coherent optics). And you can do you own support
> and monitoring, which I got the impression was part of their problem
> with Google’s NOC.
Thanks for that - I know them by a different term here but maybe I'm
just not up with the play ;-) I know what you mean. That said, a single
10G circuit wouldn't even feed a fully loaded bent pipe Gen 1 Starlink
bird, so I could imagine that with several birds being trackable by each
ground station, those 100G links and higher will be hot property.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)
Ph: (+64-9)-373-7599 ext. 85282