[Starlink] data sovereignty

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Nov 5 11:00:27 EDT 2021

A number of Canadian IXs have pondered whether we could get Starlink to peer
via air.    I don't think this will be possible until they move to IPv6
so that they can do some geographic allocation of end-station addresses.

A question that was asked was: what is the altitude at which the data has
left the country...   Heinlein's _Man Who Sold the Moon_ is not true.
Countries have a limited altitude in which to claim soveignty.  But, what is
it?  (Would Alphabet Loon be within it? I suspect so)

Will this argument about data sovereignty be used by national governments (or
rather, the associated incumbent telco-ISPs) to forbid spending public money
on Starlink?