[Starlink] something of a step backwards

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at comcast.com
Mon Nov 15 09:21:54 EST 2021

> They may start MITM's https connections to read traffic

Unless they install certs on client devices how are they going to attack the TLS connections?

> They may start blocking bittorrent because they claim it's all "piracy" and theft.

FWIW, that was not why P2P connections were reset way back when. It was at root a bufferbloat issue, confounded by a lot of bad responses to & misunderstandings of the issue at that time. ;-)

But you do raise an interesting point that what’s considered a reasonable network management practice differs by type of access network – which we can see in the US between wired and wireless access network practices. What may become standard practice in LEO access networks is still emerging I suppose.

> This always comes with some argument that "bundling" a provider-controlled service

I’d guess the fastest path to deploy a MVP was to keep the edge access device as simple as possible and not worry about testing lots of permutations. So getting to market with 1 device makes sense IMO. What the future holds is anyone’s guess – but ISTM they are still fairly early in deployment.

JL