[Starlink] something of a step backwards

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Thu Nov 11 13:30:26 EST 2021

I don't think StarLink will be an Internet Access Provider if it includes a bundled router that is sealed off with proprietary (even DMCA and FCC certification protection from modification).

I can see them taking control as folks like Comcast have tried to do - for example:

They may start MITM's https connections to read traffic and gather surveillance data on users' DNS and HTTP uses.

They may start blocking bittorrent because they claim it's all "piracy" and theft.

They may start charging differentially based on the type or endpoints of traffic.

They may start blocking countries' access geographically to other countries over Starlink.

This always comes with some argument that "bundling" a provider-controlled service will reduce "consumer price" (of course, monopolies rarely pass cost on in the form of minimized price, in reality, but when they talk to regulators, they lie and wave their hands about "economics" that conflates cost with price).

But those who are fans of satellites and love Elon Musk to death because he's a "hero" will not worry about these things, even though in the past that is exactly what has happened.

So, you'll buy into what you buy into. Just don't say I didn't tell you this will happen.