[Starlink] new subscribers to this list

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 15:07:57 EDT 2022

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 11:44 AM Ricky Mok <cskpmok at caida.org> wrote:

> Thanks Dave for creating and managing this mailing list!

and: thank *you* (and kc, dave clark, et al)  for this really
excellent paper on "jitterbug". Quality jitter metrics have long been
lacking on the internet.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-98785-5_7

"We discovered a set of features in jitter and jitter dispersion —a
jitter-derived time series we define in this paper—time series that
are characteristic of periods of congestion. We leverage these
concepts to create a jitter-based congestion inference framework that
we call Jitterbug. We apply Jitterbug’s capabilities to a wide range
of traffic scenarios and discover that Jitterbug can correctly
identify both recurrent and one-off congestion events. We validate
Jitterbug inferences against state-of-the-art autocorrelation-based
inferences of recurrent congestion. We find that the two approaches
have strong congruity in their inferences, but Jitterbug holds promise
for detecting one-off as well as recurrent congestion."

It looks very promising. Is the code anywhere? Is the talk up?

... and where do you plan to go next with it? Are any other groups
beginning to leverage it?

--
Still trying to fix the internet on a too-small budget:
https://www.patreon.com/dtaht