[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 19:45:11 EDT 2022

On Tue Aug 30, 2022 at 04:07:36PM -0700, David Lang wrote:
> people need to stop thinking that because fiber is available where you
> live, everyone has access to it

On the contrary, it's still not available where I am in London, and that
location was even worse off (sub 1Mb/s DSL in 2017 when we started).

The point of going agressively good was to shame the larger incumbents
to do better. The altnet industry suceeded and now it's being rolled out
in cities too though still a few years away here.

At the time I could not have built this in a city so doing rural
served two purposes - help those without, help get everyone done
sometime the only way to progress things is by direct or
indirect action.

I recognise USA has other issues making it harder.

brandon