[Starlink] Starlink terminal detector

Oleg Kutkov contact at olegkutkov.me
Mon Dec 19 19:46:55 EST 2022

Greeting from Kyiv, where I'm sitting without electricity and proper
internet connectivity. Thanks to dozens of Russian missiles and drone
attacks very last night.

No one was forcing them to attack our country and destroy our cities and
energy infrastructure. That's what they are doing right now, in the
middle of the winter. They killed, raped, and kidnapped thousands of
civilians. Recently discovered children torture rooms on liberated
territories. It's pure terrorism.

So they have a really simple choice - do something with their crazy
autocrat or come here as occupants and suffer in the mud and cold doing
military crimes.

At the same time, we have no choice here in Ukraine. We must protect our
lives and country. Sometimes it feels like we are solving their problem
with their government. Sadly, it takes so many lives...
The main difference is that in Ukraine, no one is hunting for conscripts
with the police. And are there different legal ways to avoid conscription.
We have a lot of military and civilian volunteers. Everyone is trying to
do something to help and save the future.

Sorry for off-topic.

---

The Dishy is easy to camouflage. And there is no easy way to detect
directional Ku band transmission. We made different kinds of measurements.
So it is up to WiFi. The solution is currently rolling out on Starlink
routers.

On 12/20/22 01:34, Ulrich Speidel via Starlink wrote:

> Greetings from Hiroshima where, on August 6, 1945, at this time in the
> morning, I would've had a couple of minutes left to live where I am
> sitting and typing this now. Makes one think. Neither Russia nor
> Ukraine respect the right to conscientious objection. Seeing my
> colleagues at work who are from mixed Russian and Ukrainian families
> makes it hit home daily what war means to them and their loved ones.
> Having to worry about a top student of mine whose Russian parents'
> business is affected by the war, and who may not be able to pay his
> international student fees next year, and may have to return home to
> face conscription and the meat grinder. He could be one of those who
> we see gleeful YouTube videos of, having bombs dropped on them from
> drones, with no shelter, wriggling in pain as they take their last
> breath. Makes me forget the price tag of the missiles for the moment.
>
> That said, the Starlink WiFi router is of course only one RF source a
> detector might want to zero in on, and as it's been pointed out it's
> easily camouflaged or spoofed on the RF side of things. The satcom
> signal off the Dishy is another, and it's not as easily spoofed.
> However, Dishy will point itself where it can see most relay-capable
> satellites, which in Ukraine will be in a western or northwestern
> direction. Which means pointing the signal away from Russia and the
> detectors in most cases. Russians are by and large clever folks (never
> judge a people by its autocratic leaders) and are probably well aware
> of this. So we can book that military blog entry under fog of war
> misinformation.
>
> On 20/12/2022 5:07 am, Dave Taht via Starlink wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2022 at 7:54 AM Eric via Starlink
>> <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > Get a bunch of US$3 ESP8266 devices, set them up in AP mode with
>> spoofed Starlink MACs and BSSIDs, power them with solar cells + old
>> vape-pen batteries and spread them all over the place. There's
>> nothing like causing the other side to shoot $50k missiles at a $15
>> decoy.
>>
>> Well, the difference in amount of traffic generated by an idle AP vs
>> one in use would be large, and the interference
>> caused by simulating traffic on the other APs a pita, but narrow
>> channels and a bunch of APs does thin the herd.
>>
>> Meshy mode, at least adhoc, has fewer identifying signatures in the
>> packet header, making an "AP" less obvious.

Best regards,
Oleg Kutkov