[Starlink] Starlink Roaming

Dick Roy dickroy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 22 18:14:09 EST 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: David Lang [mailto:david at lang.hm]
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2022 12:55 AM
To: Dick Roy
Cc: 'David Lang'; 'Daniel AJ Sokolov'; starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net
Subject: RE: [Starlink] Starlink Roaming

On Mon, 21 Feb 2022, Dick Roy wrote:

> My thinking is that the laser links will make it possible to route the

> traffic

>> from wherever I am to the appropriate ground station that I'm registered

> with as opposed to the current bent-pipe approach where, if I move to far
from

> my registered location, I need to talk to a different ground station.

> [RR] It is important to remember there is no need to go through a
particular

> ground station.  What is necessary is to authenticate the dishy to the

> network. Authentication servers will probably be distributed so that it
can

> happen quickly and the resulting flows and paths can be configured

> independently.

long term you are correct, short term I expect that dishes are assigned a

specific ground station. It's a choice that would get them up and running

faster, and with a fixed bent-pipe arrangement, doesn't really hurt that
much

(again, short term)

[RR] Agreed! Many of these early decisions on system architecture will
likely change going forward with no problems.

RR

David Lang