[Starlink] Tonga's international cable is back up

Ulrich Speidel ulrich at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Fri Feb 25 22:02:13 EST 2022

I like that mental model, too, although the way Internet development has
historically played out in the Pacific has been quite diverse in comparison.

Some place, e.g., Niue, did initially exactly that - the local geek guru
got it going and things went from there. Other places were worried that
their monopoly telco might get competition, and kept a lid on it for
reasons political or simply because they genuinely felt that their
island was too small not to pool resources in a single provider. Some
islands don't have geek gurus. Tonga is a case in point here - the
smaller islands that didn't have cable so far are, with the exception of
'Eua, very small in terms of population, a few hundred people at most,
many only have a few dozen.

On many of these smaller islands, the only businesses are small
stall-like shops that will sell bread from the local baker and
necessities such as tooth paste, soap, batteries and that sort of thing,
plus peanuts and other imported snacks. Whatever the supply ship brings
when it comes, which could be once every few months in some cases. Most
people live off the land, go fishing or collect shellfish on the reef,
and in some cases will produce crafts like pandanus mats or tapa cloth,
some of which is sent overseas and can generate a bit of income. There
are a lot of old people in comparison to younger folk, who have often
left for a life overseas to support those back home. Post offices,
coffee shops and libraries exist only on the larger islands. The smaller
islands will always have more churches than you can count, and sadly
some of these still see the Internet as something to be kept out at all
cost - something that's by no means unique to Tonga.

Dr. Ulrich Speidel

School of Computer Science

Room 303S.594 (City Campus)

The University of Auckland