[Starlink] starlink extensions over uk

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jul 25 04:35:13 EDT 2022

I haven't got Mike's nice software but I got snail mail today, so let's
try the back of one of the envelopes.

53 degrees north (where the existing constellation tops out) is roughly
the latitude of Nottingham or Stoke-on-Trent. Note that this is also the
latitude with the largest number of birds per km (or mile, if you so
prefer) of parallel. They sit almost cheek to jowl there.

Now the northern tip of the UK's main islands is at around 59 degrees
north - that's six degrees more. One degree of latitude is roughly
equivalent to 10,000 km / 90 degrees = 111 km, so we're talking around a
devilish 666 km to the north of Nottingham here as the crow flies.

Lets assume Dishy points itself due south at 59 degrees. The birds are
at about 550 km. So doing a flat earth approximation for the moment,
we're having to point at a satellite 550 km up from 660 km away - that
gives an elevation of about 40 degrees (=arctan(550/660)). Ballpark. Now
reduce that by the 6 degrees of difference to account for the curvature
of the earth and we still have around 34 degrees, allowing for a bit of
leeway either side if the closest bird isn't actually due south but a
bit to the east or west. Again, ballpark, but we're nowhere near 25
degrees yet.

So I'd say that should cover it nicely? Where does my envelope err? GEO
arc protection aside for the moment, of course. And of course just
because Starlink offers you service doesn't mean that it's actually
continuous.

On 25/07/2022 8:59 am, Dave Taht via Starlink wrote:
> For those of you that don't follow mike's twitter feed...
>
> https://twitter.com/mikepuchol/status/1551288485713149952
> <https://twitter.com/mikepuchol/status/1551288485713149952>
>
> --
> FQ World Domination pending: