[Starlink] starlink extensions over uk

Ulrich Speidel u.speidel at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jul 26 09:09:43 EDT 2022

So then the difference really is just in the GSO protection settings I
guess.

The GSO protection is - to an extent - also patch protection. After all
- who'd need satellite TV if everyone could watch the same TV via LEOs?
But consider that:

  * Interference to GEO sats from Starlink & Co. is out of band. I'm not
    sure what the out-of-band emissions profiles of dishys are, but I'd
    imagine we'd be looking at the usual few dozen dB below peak.
  * Distance to GSO is around 64 times (2^6) larger than to Starlink's
    orbits - GEO sats see around 1/4000th ((2^6)^-2) of the power from a
    ground station that the Starlink satellite in front of it sees.
    That's 36 dB in extra separation.
  * Dishy is comparatively small in cross-section, and that severely
    limits its gain. Most serious GEO uplink applications that I'm aware
    of use dishes more like 8 times dishy's cross section. That's
    another 9 dB or so in separation between a Starlink dishy signal and
    signal directed specifically at a GEO sat just from the overall
    size. Uplinks from gateways are likely to be much more of an issue
    (always on and probably higher power as well as ~6 dB higher antenna
    gain judging from the photos I've seen), but then again these point
    away from the GSO when serving birds further north.
  * My understanding (correct me if you think I'm wrong here): It's also
    possible that Dishy's nature as a phased array helps here. Why?
    Out-of-band interference results from intermodulation and other
    unwanted emissions from the power amplifiers (PA) of transmitters.
    Where these are fed into a dish from a single PA, their amplitudes
    get amplified by the gain of the dish. Now say we're trying to
    replace that dish by an array with N antennas and N associated PAs
    that feed at the appropriate phase. Then each element (individual PA
    with associated antenna) needs to contribute P/N of the total
    transmit power P of the big PA & dish. Now remember that power is
    proportional to the square of the amplitude. As long as the wanted
    signal components from the PA are correlated - and they have to be
    for the phased array to work - their N amplitudes add up, meaning
    the total output power of the wanted signal across all elements is
    proportional to N^2. So each element only needs to contribute an
    amplitude proportional to 1/N in order to produce the wanted output
    at the correct power. However, now each PA produces its own dirt
    signal. But unlike the wanted signal, these unwanted signals aren't
    necessarily all correlated between the elements. As a result, the
    amplitudes of the unwanted signals from the PAs will partially
    cancel out as the signal combines into the beam that is being
    formed. So only the powers of these uncorrelated unwanted signals
    add up, but their amplitudes don't, meaning we now have an unwanted
    signal power that is proportional only to N rather than N^2,
    resulting in a higher ratio of wanted signal to unwanted signal.
    Again that'd help a lot with separation in an array with lots of
    elements and associated PAs. That said, published research into the
    unwanted emissions of phased arrays is still a bit in its infancy,
    and I can't profess to understand enough about Dishy's innards or
    the level of correlation between unwanted emissions in the array,
    but I'd consider it possible that this allows for some relaxation on
    the GSO protection parameters when it comes to Starlink.