[Starlink] Hello List

Dave Täht davet at teklibre.net
Wed Mar 2 15:05:31 EST 2022

On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 02:55:26PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:

> <tom at evslin.com> wrote:
>     > need to prosper in the hybrid digital world. As all of you know, QoS is much
>     > more than up and downlink speed and tough-to-quantify jitter is a huge part
>     > of it. My measurement tool zoomready (at freecheckip.com
>     > <http://freecheckip.com/>  and  https://github.com/tevslin/zoomready) makes
>     > a more or less continuous measurement of jitter but is quite crude; so
>
> I think that Apple/Stuart did a good job inverting the jitter metric, and calling it
> Rounds/Revolutions per Minute.  I suggest doing the same in your tool.

Except it's NOT a jitter metric. It is a latency under load metric primarily aime
at testing in-band (http 2.0 or quic) AQM latency. Most of our other tests
to date have a tendency to favor FQ measurements.

Certainly jitter can be pulled out of detailed measurements using some
of the proposed methodologies. See the rpm at lists.bufferbloat.net list
an archives for more details.

We have a regular meeting on implementations and new data
at 10AM PDT tuesdays if anyone would like to join.