[Starlink] Starlink deplyment in Ukraine

David P. Reed dpreed at deepplum.com
Sun Mar 6 16:10:19 EST 2022

Very interesting info about where current ground stations are, but of course Kyiv, Lviv, Kharkiv are close to some adjacent countries that already have Starlink ground stations (didn't know they were up and running in Turkey).

Regarding ground-level repeating, the radio horizon is very short except in VHF where you can in principle bounce off the ionosphere. Don't join the Flat Earth Society, the earth isn't very flat at all.
(yes, some small bands actually bend around the earth in the Troposhere, but bitrates feasible in that bandwidth is very poor. Maybe voice grade)

Microwave multihop links require LOS and except from mountaintop to mountaintop, it's hard to maintain them cheaply - Wall St uses microwaves between NYC and Chicago, because the latency is much lower number of microseconds than direct fiber would be (little known fact about the difference between speed of light in glass vs. air).

These technologies are "off the shelf" for fixed wireless deployment, but if I were trying to maintain or build a quick replacement for existing cables using wireless, I suspect it would largely be too little, too late.

I'm sure that we can deploy special networking technology to fuel a Molotov Cocktail brigade in both Ukraine and Russia, for the greater glory of Nationalist Pride.

But honestly, technology doesn't solve social and political problems - at best it escalates them.

Naah, this is mostly Musk's time to promote Starlink, because it can be somewhat useful as is, in the public imagination, if not so much in reality. (We'll see) However, any person seriously interested in preserving Internet connectivity in Uktraine would be focusing on other kinds of engineering - less showy, more practical. Already he is acting like he rules the world in his other public commentary insulting Russia and promoting his rockets against Putin's rockets. He's really an asshole like Trump, and a loose cannon who thinks everything he thinks is right, and that he need not consult with anyone else about coordination and strategy.

And sadly, I'm afraid that because Musk wants to hog the limelight, and other Billionaires might decide to copy him, we'll end up with Megacorp level private warriors viewing their role as saving the world for the billionaire class. I hope that's not true. We already had that with Eric Prince and Blackwater deciding they should become high tech warriors to preserve theif view of the proper World Order.

Personally, I've worked pretty much my whole life to create an open, *inclusive* and neutral platform called the Internet among all humans on the earth. It will be sad, indeed to see it militarized, even by guerillas, no matter what their politics.