[Starlink] oleg posts an archive of his starlink repairs in ukraine

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 18:30:24 EST 2022

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 5:03 PM Oleg Kutkov via Starlink
<starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Thanks, Dave, for inviting me to this mailing list.

Thx for joining! Ton of old farts here that can't cope with twitter.

> I think someone already followed my blog or Twitter. I did a lot of work
> on the Starlink router and Dishy analysis and probably can tell
> something I didn't publish yet. Currently, I'm doing all these repairs
> due to the situation in my country.

What can we do to help?

> I have some ideas to make a custom version of the SpaceX Gen2 router
> with optimized OpenWrt and modified hardware.

The Gen1 would have been easier to modify - it had an out of the box
supported version of modern openwrt already.
The Gen2 was only supported by the manufacturer's devboard in openwrt
last I looked.

It would be nice to see more features on the Gen2 - BGP and an IGP,
for example, more ability to handle complex networks.

> On 11/28/22 02:52, Dave Taht via Starlink wrote:
> > Here:  https://olegkutkov.me/starlink-repairs-archive/
> >
> > In addition to addressing the dire need to keep these devices
> > functioning, his efforts are the most stirring example of the
> > right-to-repair I've yet seen,
> > and also, the training and diagnostic lessons he's documented above
> > apply to so much other gear we could so easily be repairing, rather
> > than replacing.
> >

> --
> Best regards,
> Oleg Kutkov

This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC