[Starlink] Starlink no longer available to the Ukrainian army?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sun Oct 16 13:00:21 EDT 2022

Hi Dave,

On 16 October 2022 18:31:07 CEST, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 1:45 AM Bruce Perens via Starlink
><starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Sebastian Moeller via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wonder whether some form of communication would not be better handled by a dedicated PR department:
>
>I have rather hated the return  of over-processed communications in
>the last decade, and the lack of a place to yell back at the screen. I
>liked blogs and websites and media that had comments, and better, had
>authors that read the comments.

Yes, I generally agree.
However in this case, I disagree somewhat. Twitter IMHO is a terrible tool for anything of relevance and outside small circles of friends or like minded individuals. As a tool for communicating policy or complex content I am less convinced that twitter adds much (sorry if this sounds old man shouting at the clouds).
But in the starlink/ukraine topic it might be fascinating seeing decision making changing in 'real-time', but neither Starlink nor Musk come out looking all that good.
Which is somewhat puzzling, as they earned a lot of goodwill by their initial (and apparently their continuing) actions, so why go screw this up? In this instance I believe some PR experts to discuss any intended tweet to make sure it truly reflects the intended policy seems an improvement to me.

>I like a wacking good, long form, debate... which is why I miss
>netnews and email so much.

+1; that is a different beast than twitter though which is essentially for unvetted hot-takes, no?

>If you think stuff run by PR departments is better, please read Ed
>Bernay's work, which has fallen out of copyright.

Given that so far I liked all your recommendations I should check this out. However I do not think PR publications are generally a good thing, just in this instance it might have been a useful tool to avoid unnecessary u-turns.