[Starlink] Starlink no longer available to the Ukrainian army?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 12:31:07 EDT 2022

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 1:45 AM Bruce Perens via Starlink
<starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 7:42 AM Sebastian Moeller via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder whether some form of communication would not be better handled by a dedicated PR department:

I have rather hated the return  of over-processed communications in
the last decade, and the lack of a place to yell back at the screen. I
liked blogs and websites and media that had comments, and better, had
authors that read the comments.

I like a wacking good, long form, debate... which is why I miss
netnews and email so much.

If you think stuff run by PR departments is better, please read Ed
Bernay's work, which has fallen out of copyright.

> Unfortunately the biggest PR problem SpaceX/Starlink has is not one that can be mediated by a PR department. Elon says stupid things.

>"There is the far-right conspiracy theorism,"

I don't see "far-right" conspiracy theorism except from commenters.
Got a concrete example?

I am hopefully well known as a pretty rigorously "fair" person.[1] It
comes from this:

http://ronsravings.blogspot.com/2012/10/memorial-service-eulogy.html

and to a huge extent my outlook on life and the American way, is
actually reflected by the fq_codel and cake algorithms -

" fq codel (now IETF standard RFC8290) is a uniquely “American”
algorithm. It's *fair*. It gives the “little guy” - the little packet,
the first packets in a new connection to anywhere, a little boost
until the flow achieves parity with other flows from other sources,
with minimal buffering. This means that all network traffic gets
treated equally - faster. Isn’t that what you want in a network
neutral framework? DNS, gaming traffic, voip, videoconferencing, and
the first packets of any new flow, to anywhere, get a small boost.
That’s it. Big flows - from anybody - from netflix to google to
comcast - all achieve parity, with minimal delay and buffering, at a
wide variety of real round trip times." -
https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/net_neutrality_customers/

Elon has definitely shifted right in the past years moving from
california to texas, and even if it's an uncalculated move (doubt it)
- in order to sell "green technology" into the other half of the
country, he needs to talk to things that those folk care about.

If that means offending the green yuppie tesla base into buying more
rivians, and convinces the red set in the center of the country to
switch to electric trucks from ford... It's still a win, from his
long-stated perspectives of converting the economy over to greener
energies.

"his belief that population collapse will end society if we don't
start having more babies, "

He's stopped far short of "banning abortion", for example, and the
effects of population collapse can be demonstrated in
aging populations in Japan, especially, who have also made a big
investment into robotization.

It does bug me that in repeated posts he doesn't show how, in America
at least, immigration has countered the not-enough-for-replacement
birth rate. I'm a big fan of immigration, always will be - (but I'd
emigrate if only I could find a country willing to take me in!)

"and his recent statement on how he believes the war in Ukraine should
be ended. "

Someone(s) need to propose answers on how wars can end. I already
posted my interpretation of the Nicaraguan
peace, as to what happened when both sides couldn't send in bullets anymore.

"A lot of this seems totally nuts to me and is not going to endear him
to people. The impacts upon SpaceX and Tesla have been palpable."

It is impossible to be endearing to all people.

"The hell with it … even though Starlink is still losing money & other
companies are getting billions of taxpayer $, we’ll just keep funding
Ukraine govt for free."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1581345747777179651

> I spent some time with Steve Jobs in 12 years at Pixar. There were horror stories about him, but he'd matured. He wasn't perfect, but a lot better. The problem is that he was probably as old then as Elon is now.

Did he thrust iphones into a war? witness the complete collapse of all
other infrastructure technologies? Run the risk of nuclear war, with a
communication tech that was hoped to bring the benefit of the internet
to all?

A really good question might be - what would steve jobs' have done, in
this situation? Think different?

Gandhi?

Pol Pot?

Winston Churchill?

>     Thanks

[1] for the record, I have published very little about my politics,
and hope to not have to care more than I do. This
piece is the closest I came to skewering every perspective there is:
http://the-edge.blogspot.com/2003_06_15_the-edge_archive.html#105582160924824821

and if someone could tell ME what my politics are after reading that,
I'd probably find something to quibble with.

>     Bruce

This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC