[Starlink] [M-Lab-Discuss] misery metrics & consequences

rjmcmahon rjmcmahon at rjmcmahon.com
Sat Oct 22 16:18:20 EDT 2022

We've added full histograms into many of iperf 2 metrics. The python
flows codes has an example of how to measure distances between
non-parametric histograms/distributions per the Kolmogorv-Smirnov test.
Statistical process controls (SPC) per techniques like Hotelling T2 can
be useful to identify regressions under controlled tests. In general,
trying to use single scalars or even parametric distribution values,
e.g. mean & variance, need to be thought out as normalizing
distributions loses information. I think others have said network metric
distributions exhibit chaotic behaviors so normalization may not work
nor will predictions too far out. User experience is a multi-label
classification problem and not easily defined - probably need a
supervised system with user feedback/inputs into the model to come up
with that.

Bottom line to me is that network analysis techniques need to us machine
learning or multivariate stats, linear algebra, etc to be useful and
even with all this advanced math it still can be incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_limit_theorem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov%E2%80%93Smirnov_test
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotelling%27s_T-squared_distribution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-label_classification