[Starlink] Starlink "beam spread"

Darrell Budic budic at onholyground.com
Thu Sep 1 12:33:25 EDT 2022

If I recall correctly, Starlink has told us they encrypt from ground to ground. So whatever they do in the sat constellation, it’s an underlay network and our IP traffic never sees it. This doesn’t preclude ISL, but it does work against the concept of a CDN in space. Seems like it’s easier for them to get on more IXs and even host cache servers at the ground stations if they have enough data center space at them. Of course, there’s nothing preventing them from putting up a satellite that gets treated as an endpoint and does decryption, but then it’s just another end point on their underlay.