[Starlink] starlink upload behavior

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 15:50:01 EDT 2022

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 12:24 PM Luis A. Cornejo
<luis.a.cornejo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Did you leave your ingress at 0?

I could never find an operating point that was suitable.

> How about ack filtering and overhead on egress? Do you mind sharing your tc qdisc commands?

ack-filter works better than ack-filter-aggressive, though I switch
back and forth.

> Have you run the auto rate script?

I used to - but my own usage is principally bound by annoyance at
upload speeds, so I reverted to just using ack-filtering and a 6Mbit
rate on uploads for the sqm-scripts. See attached.

For new subscribers to this list, the genesis of it all was the idea
of doing a cerowrt II project
targetted at making all of openwrt easily capable of interoperating
with starlink's products, and
in at least a few ways, superior. Despite pitching this in multiple
directions, no funding arrived, and Starlink stopped communicating
with us at all...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rVGC-iNq2NZ0jk4f3IAiVUHz2S9O6P-F3vVZU2yBYtw/edit#heading=h.qev8j7cst4lc

and instead we've been poking at various subprojects in loose
formation, off of that list. Notably, the cake-autorate work hit 1.0
with some decent solutions for LTE/5G that I hope more are using, some
details on that here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cake-w-adaptive-bandwidth/135379

Given how the starlink network is (d)evolving, and my continued,
fervent hope they are upgrading their dishys and downlinks to manage
congestion better, I went back to paid work and polishing up the
openwrt 22.03 release. (I think we fixed the last major wifi bug a
week ago).

LibreQos is experiencing a small explosion of popularity, and I hope
more small ISPs are leaping on that. When we started developing cake
in 2015, XDP, ebpf didn't exist, and htb was too locky to scale much
past a gbit, we recently got LibreQos past 10gbits and 5000 60/6 mbit
users on really cheap hardware. Next stop, 20Gbit!

https://github.com/rchac/LibreQoS

I picked up a pretty cool FPGA the other day, as the stop after that
is 100Gbits. 6ns per packet is difficult.

A couple days worth of dishy cake stats:

tc -s qdisc show dev wlp3s0
qdisc cake 818c: root refcnt 2 bandwidth 6Mbit diffserv3
triple-isolate nonat nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100.0ms raw
overhead 0
 Sent 1090433207 bytes 3498702 pkt (dropped 240608, overlimits 2592116
requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 68Kb of 4Mb
 capacity estimate: 6Mbit
 min/max network layer size:           42 /    1514
 min/max overhead-adjusted size:       42 /    1514
 average network hdr offset:           14

                   Bulk  Best Effort        Voice
  thresh        375Kbit        6Mbit     1500Kbit
  target         48.4ms        5.0ms       12.1ms
  interval      143.4ms      100.0ms      107.1ms
  pk_delay          0us        3.2ms        384us
  av_delay          0us        415us         15us
  sp_delay          0us          3us          2us
  backlog            0b           0b           0b
  pkts                0      3732804         6506
  bytes               0   1105842362       295688
  way_inds            0       254569            0
  way_miss            0        32630           84
  way_cols            0            0            0
  drops               0           46            0
  marks               0          160            0
  ack_drop            0       240562            0
  sp_flows            0            2            0
  bk_flows            0            1            0
  un_flows            0            0            0
  max_len             0        13446          329
  quantum           300          300          300

For contrast here's two days worth of stats for a 60Mbit customer of
this wisp. Overall we see about a 1% drop rate...

qdisc cake c538: parent 7:1218 bandwidth unlimited diffserv4 triple-isolate nona
t nowash ack-filter split-gso rtt 100ms raw overhead 0
 Sent 1068282731 bytes 6570868 pkt (dropped 187845, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
 backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
 memory used: 292608b of 15140Kb
 capacity estimate: 0bit
 min/max network layer size:           60 /    1494
 min/max overhead-adjusted size:       60 /    1494
 average network hdr offset:           14

                   Bulk  Best Effort        Video        Voice
  thresh           0bit         0bit         0bit         0bit
  target            5ms          5ms          5ms          5ms
  interval        100ms        100ms        100ms        100ms
  pk_delay       1.08ms        196us        130us         44us
  av_delay         26us          4us          3us          2us
  sp_delay          0us          0us          1us          0us
  backlog            0b           0b           0b           0b
  pkts              258      6753105          320         5030
  bytes           15480   1081835162        24846       860791
  way_inds            0       499764            0            0
  way_miss           90        63092          229          309
  way_cols            0            0            0            0
  drops               0         1062            0            2
  marks               0           32            0            0
  ack_drop            0       186781            0            0
  sp_flows            0            1            0            1
  bk_flows            0            1            0            0
  un_flows            0            0            0            0
  max_len            60         1494         1422          590
  quantum          1514         1514         1514         1514