[Starlink] It's still the starlink latency...

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Sep 26 11:57:34 EDT 2022

Hi Dave,

> On Sep 26, 2022, at 17:29, Dave Taht via Starlink <starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2022 at 8:20 AM Livingood, Jason
> <Jason_Livingood at comcast.com> wrote:
>>
>> The awareness & understanding of latency & impact on QoE is nearly unknown among reporters. IMO maybe there should be some kind of background briefings for reporters - maybe like a simple YouTube video explainer that is short & high level & visual? Otherwise reporters will just continue to focus on what they know...
>
> That's a great idea. I have visions of crashing the washington
> correspondents dinner, but perhaps
> there is some set of gatherings journalists regularly attend?

	I would assume the relevant tech-journalists might be easier to catch at PR events at trade shows, or tech-related PR events like CES.
	However, starlink's own website does not seem to prominently advertise specific rates anyway, but does stress the latency advantage over geo stationary satellite links.
	The rest of the residential market however has been trained for decades now that the most relevant numbers are the maximal throughput* (well mostly downloads only), hence I can understand that articles will mention regressions of that number prominently.
	I just stumbled over a German article (https://www.heise.de/news/Speedtests-Satelliteninternet-Starlink-teilweise-deutlich-langsamer-geworden-7275243.html) apparently presenting the same Ookla numbers for starlink containing a single short paragraph about latency increases, but without explaining their relevance, so exactly what you see in the other article as well; @Daniel anything we could do to make your colleague? Martin Holland more latency aware?

>> On 9/21/22, 14:35, "Starlink on behalf of Dave Taht via Starlink" <starlink-bounces at lists.bufferbloat.net on behalf of starlink at lists.bufferbloat.net> wrote:
>>
>>    I still find it remarkable that reporters are still missing the
>>    meaning of the huge latencies for starlink, under load.

	In their "defense" a similar level of latency-awareness is often displayed when talking about wired internet connections. (And from my perspective, I consider absolute latency somewhat less important than latency variation)

*) I am not trying to assign responsibility/blame here, I think both ISPs and customers jointly "selected" maximal contracted throughput as measure of choice to justify differential prices.