[Starlink] It's still the starlink latency...

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 17:10:13 EDT 2022

I tend to cite rfc7567 (published 2015) a lot, which replaces rfc2309
(published 1992!).

Thing is, long before that, I'd come to the conclusion that fair
queuing was a requirement for
sustaining the right throughput for low rate flows in wildly variable
bandwidth. At certain places in
LTE/5g/starlink networks the payload is encrypted and the header info
required unavailable, and my advocacy of fq is certainly not shared by
everyone.

We don't know enough about the actual points of congestion in starlink
to know if fq could be applied,
and although aqm is a very good idea everywhere, is also largely
undeployed where it would matter most.

I focused my initial analysis of starlink on just uplink congestion,
which I believe can be easily improved given about 20 minutes with a
cross compiler for the dishy. We have a very good proof of concept as
to how to improve starlinks behavior over here:
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/cake-w-adaptive-bandwidth/135379/87 and
ironically the same script could be run on their router as it is based
on a 6 year old version of openwrt in the first place.

I have plenty of data later than this (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1puRjUVxJ6cCv-rgQ_zn-jWZU9ae0jZbFATLf4PQKblM/edit
) but I would like to be collecting it from at least six sites around
the world.